I’ll never forget the first birth I attended, 16 years ago, it was a homebirth setting of one of my closest friends, in Mendocino County in Northern California. It was before I ever really knew what a midwife or doula was, as I always thought that in pregnancy, women only see doctors and birth only in hospitals on opioid drugs or with the assistance of doctors or surgery. That experience of meeting her midwife, of being an unofficial labor companion, shifted everything for me, in the moments shortly after seeing my friend and her husband and the new baby all tucked up in bed at home within an hour of her waterbirth. The ‘love hormone’ oxytocin was flowing all around! Then after doula training, I started attending births at hospitals in San Francisco and Hawai’i, witnessing the medical interventions and lack of informed consent, and felt even more pulled to support women and families so that they may make truly informed decisions in every labor & birth setting. That’s where my journey of doula work blossomed and continued into midwifery. I am passionate about women-centered care, promoting and protecting physiological birth, and supporting women with breastfeeding and transition to parenthood in the postnatal period. I advocate for and offer support to women to birth in any setting where they feel safe and private, to foster undisturbed labor and physiological birth. Here as a visiting practitioner in the SF Bay Area, I offer holistic doula services to the community. I have been a birth worker for 16 years, attending labor & births as a doula locally and in Hawai’i, and since 2008 practiced as a Homebirth midwife in New Zealand and providing primary midwifery care in birth centers and hospital settings in NZ and Australia, to families of diverse backgrounds from Maori/Pacific, Australian Aboriginal, Refugees, and NZ/Australian European. Currently, I am pursuing a Master of Primary Maternity Care degree through Griffith University in Australia via distance education.
Additional offerings in work:
- Thought Field Therapy (“Tapping for Birth” certification, Bali 2018)
- Small-group holistic childbirth education classes in Australia since 2014.
- Mindfulness, Yoga, Acupressure, and various stress, tension & trauma release practices such as TRE
- ongoing interest/studies in Heart of Yoga YTT, Medical Qigong, Integrative Nutrition, Life Coaching
- Bachelor of Arts Psychology degree 2000, Humboldt State University
- Bachelor of Midwifery degree 2008, Massey University, New Zealand
- Certificate in Acupuncture (Midwifery/Obstetrics) 2009, New Zealand School of Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine